With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal and carry deadly weapons as of October 1, 1996.
The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon.  Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Jefferson County resident and verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees and take a photograph of the applicant and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail and the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours (8:00am-4:00pm M-F).

As of July 12, 2006, in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States. Applicants who are not US citizens will need to fill out and sign a Immigration Status Affidavit declaring their CCDW eligibility, which will be attached to the application.
Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20, (of the $60 application fee), can be cash, check or money order made out to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. For more on House Bill 290, click the following link: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/06RS/HB290/bill.doc
Property Taxes
Sex Offender Search
Criminal Division
     Process Unit
     Warrants / EPOs
     Auto Inspections
Court Security
Community Services
School Resource Officers
Concealed Deadly Weapons
Reserve Unit - Volunteer
Prescription Drug Disposal
Command Staff
Mission & Ethics Statements
Internal Affairs



What Credentials Do You Need To Bring:
 · State of Kentucky Drivers License or Official Photo ID and Proof of Kentucky Residency
 · Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff's Office - for fees see below)
 · Separate Photo for the Application (A photo can be taken at the Sheriff's Office - for fees see below)
      If you decide to bring in your own photo:
           It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot, a passport photo is acceptable.
           The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses


CCDW Application Fee
$40.00 Application Fee (check or money order made payable to Kentucky State Treasurer)
$20.00 Application Fee (cash, check or money order to the Sheriff's Office)
$  5.00 Photo (If needed)
$  1.00 Copy of Training Certificate (If needed)

$66.00 Total

The state of KY will not accept a training course certificates from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (Firearms Safety and Hunter Education Course) and federal agencies because neither are providing training in Kentucky firearm laws (Use of Force, Access, etc.) which is required. The only exception is DD Form 214 certificate, which is now accepted as long as it says Honorable discharge and shows you are pistol certified. If you are pistol certified and your DD-214 does not list it, you can fill out a an affidavit here at the office swearing to your certification. Certifications aquired through online courses will NOT be accepted, as they are most likely a scam.

For more information and to obtain a listing of Certified Instructors in your County, go to DOCJT's
"Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons License Training" web page.

For more information, visit the Kentucky State Police web site: 

Change of Personal Information
If you need to change personal information such as an address change you can print out THIS FORM and mail it to our Office and we will forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. There is no charge to submit a change of personal information.

The Kentucky State Police will use the same picture from your current permit and produce a new card with the changed information on it.

They will send the card to us and send you a Flash Pak when it is done indicating you can pick up your new card at our Office.

Please bring your old card along.

Links on this site marked (PDF) requires Acrobat Reader to view.
Obtain Acrobat Reader by clicking here.

© 2016 Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Home | Contacts | Site Map | Links