Safety Tips - Behavior to Watch
Adult Behavior that may signal Sexual
Interest in Children
Remember: Children are most often molested
by someone they know, or whom the parents
know. Do you know an adult or child who:
- Refuses to let a child set any of
his or her own limits?
- Insists on hugging, touching,
kissing, tickling, wrestling with or
holding a child even when the child does
not want affection?
- Is overly interested in the
sexuality of a particular child or teen
(e.g. talks repeatedly about the child's
developing body or interferes with
normal teen dating)?
- Manages to get time alone or insists
on time alone with a child without
- Spends most of his / her spare time
with children and has little interest in
spending time with someone their own
- Regularly offers to baby-sit many
different children for free or takes
children on overnight outings alone?
Buys children expensive gifts or gives
them money for no apparent reason?
- Frequently walks in on children /
teens in the bathroom?
- Allows children or teens to
consistently get away with inappropriate
- Talks again and again about the
sexual activities of children or teens?
- Talks about sexual fantasies with
children and is not clear about what's
okay with children?
- Encourages silence and secrets in a
- Asks adult partners to dress or act
like a child or teen during sexual
- Often has a "special" child friend,
maybe a different one from year to year?
- Spends most spare time on activities
involving children or teens, not adults?
- Makes fun of a child's body parts,
calls a child sexual names such as
"stud", "whore", or "slut"?
From: "Because There Is a Way to Prevent
Child Sexual Abuse: Facts About Abuse and
Those Who Might Commit It", Joan Tabachnick,
Editor, Stop It Now!, Haydenville, MA, 1998.
This information is meant to educate you about offenders in
Jefferson County. It has not been made available for you to take action against any
individual. Any action against an offender which is determined to be a violation of law will
subject the violator to arrest and prosecution.