Conceal and Carry Deadly Weapons
Conceal and Carry a Deadly Weapon (CCDW), is the practice of carrying a weapon in public in a concealed manner, either on one's person or in close proximity which has been legal in Kentucky since 1996.
CCDW CHANGES AND INFORMATION:
As of June 28, 2019, Pursuant to 2019 Senate Bill 150, any person age twenty-one (21) or older, and otherwise able to lawfully possess a firearm, may carry concealed firearms or other concealed deadly weapons without a license in the same locations as persons with valid Kentucky CCDW license issued under KRS 237.110.
If you have questions about the new CCDW laws please visit the State Police's FAQ page.
CCDW License process details
If you are still interested in pursuing a conceal and carry deadly weapons permit the following sections provide information regarding steps and details.
Qualifications Required to Obtain a License to Carry a Concealed Weapon
- You must be a resident of Kentucky to complete an application
- You must be 21 years of age or older
- You must not be ineligible to carry a firearm pursuant to 18 USC922(g) or KRS 527.040
Training Course Certificates
The state of KY will not accept a training course certificates from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (Firearms Safety and Hunter Education Course) and federal agencies because neither are providing training in Kentucky firearm laws (Use of Force, Access, etc.) which is required. The only exception is DD Form 214 certificate, which is now accepted as long as it says Honorable discharge and shows you are pistol certified. If you are pistol certified and your DD-214 does not list it, you can fill out a an affidavit here at the office swearing to your certification. Certifications acquired through online courses will NOT be accepted, as they are most likely a scam.
For more information and to obtain a listing of Certified Instructors in your County, go to DOCJT's CCDW page: https://www.docjt.ky.gov/ccdw
For more information, visit the Kentucky State Police web site: https://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm
What Credentials Do You Need To Bring:
- State of Kentucky Drivers License or Official Photo ID and Proof of Kentucky Residency
- Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff's Office - for fees see below)
- Separate Photo for the Application (A photo can be taken at the Sheriff's Office - for fees see below)
- It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot. MUST BE ON PHOTO PAPER.
- A passport photo is acceptable.
- The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses.
CCDW FeesCCDW Application Fee / Renewal Fee
- $40.00 Kentucky State Police Application/Renewal fee.
Payment must be Check or Money Order made payable to "Kentucky State Treasurer" "
- $20.00 Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Processing fee.
Payment can be Cash, check or money order made payable to Jefferson County Sheriff's Office or JCSO.
- $5.00 Photo
- $1.00 Copies
- $2.00 Lamination of Permit
- $15.00 Fee for Renewing Late
Change of Personal Information
If you need to change personal information such as an address change you can print out the CCDW Change of Information Form and mail it to our Office and we will forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. There is no charge to submit a change of personal information.
The Kentucky State Police will use the same picture from your current permit and produce a new card with the changed information on it.
They will send the card to us and send you a Flash Pak when it is done indicating you can pick up your new card at our Office.
Please bring your old card when you renew.