The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer always looking to add new members to the JCSO Family. The agency offers competitive benefits and many opportunities for you to serve your community.
Deputy Sheriff Recruit
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must not have had peace officer status revoked in any state
- Must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm
- Must not have been convicted of a felony – misdemeanors are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must have honorable discharge from military, if applicable
- No use of marijuana in the last 1 year, no use of illegal controlled substances in the last 6 years.
- Must reside in one of the following counties within 90 days of employment:
- Kentucky: Jefferson, Bullitt, Hardin, Henry, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, Trimble
- Indiana: Clark, Floyd, Harrison
|Hourly Rate||Annual Rate||Eligible for Benefits|
|After Academy Training||$23.23||$49,323.18||Yes|
- Criminal History Check
- Physical Agility Test
- Written Psychological Assessment
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation (Criminal history check, credit check, employment history, references)
- Sheriff Staff Interview
- Medical Examination / Drug Screening
- Upon hire, recruits begin working in the courts performing on-the-job training while waiting for a spot in the academy.
- Recruits are sent to the DOCJT Law Enforcement Basic Academy located in Richmond, Kentucky.
- The academy is a live-in academy where room and board is provided. Recruits may go home on weekends and holidays.
- Law Enforcement Basic Training lasts 20 weeks.