The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer always looking to add new members to the JCSO Family. The agency offers competitive benefits and many opportunities for you to serve your community.
Reserve Deputy Sheriff
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must not have had peace officer status revoked in any state
- Must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm
- Must not have been convicted of a felony – misdemeanors are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must have honorable discharge from military, if applicable
- No use of marijuana in the last 1 year, no use of illegal controlled substances in the last 6 years.
- Must reside in one of the following counties within 90 days of employment:
- Kentucky: Jefferson, Bullitt, Hardin, Henry, Meade, Oldham, Shelby Spencer, Trimble
- Indiana: Clark, Floyd, Harrison
This is an unpaid position and benefits are not provided. Uniform and equipment costs are at the discretion of the Sheriff.
Following initial training, Reserve Deputies must complete at least 100 detail hours and 40 hours of training each year to remain in good standing.
- Criminal History Check
- Polygraph Examination
- Medical Examination / Drug Screening
- Training for Reserve Deputies is provided in Louisville by the JCSO Training Staff.
- Training lasts approximately four months and is held three evenings each week and an occasional Saturday.
- Successful Reserve Deputies complete approximately 200 hours of training.