Sex Offender Search
The Sheriff's office provides resources and information regarding sex offenders search options and parental information.
Links and Resources
Facts About Sex Offenders
- In 2003, there were approximately 455,000 registered sex offenders in the United States.
- Most sex offenders (80- 95%) assault people they know.
- At least half of convicted child molesters report that they also have sexually assaulted an adult.
- Over 80% of convicted adult rapists report that they have molested children.
- Approximately one-third of sex offenders report assaulting both males and females. Research shows that most convicted sex offenders have committed many, many assaults before they are caught.
- Most sex offenders report that they have committed multiple types of sexual assault (sexual assault crimes include exhibitionism, voyeurism, oral sex, vaginal penetration, attempted penetration, fondling, and incest)
- Over two-thirds of offenders who reported committing incest also said they assaulted victims outside the family.
- Some studies of victims have shown less than 30% of sex crimes are reported to law enforcement.
- Young victims who know or are related to the perpetrator are least likely to report the crime to authorities.
Sex Offender Characteristics
- Most offenders commit multiple crimes against multiple types of victims with whom they have varying types of relationships (adults, children, male, female, known and unknown). This behavior is known as "crossover".
- Sex offenders rarely commit just one type of offense. Many offenders have NO official criminal record or sex crime history of any kind.
- There is no such thing as a "typical" sex offender, however, all tend to be manipulative, deceptive, and secretive.
- Sex offenders come from all backgrounds, ages, income levels, and professions.
- The majority of offenses (80 - 95%) are committed by someone the victim knows.
- Sexual deviancy often begins in adolescence.
- Sex offenders usually do not commit their crimes impulsively. They usually carefully plan their crimes.
- Approximately 4% of sexual assaults are committed by women.
This information is meant to educate you about offenders in Jefferson County. It has not been made available for you to take action against any individual. Any action against an offender which is determined to be a violation of law will subject the violator to arrest and prosecution.